New pkg-message[.in] guideline idea

David DEMELIER demelier.david at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 16:28:24 UTC 2010

2010/6/23 Wesley Shields <wxs at freebsd.org>:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 02:16:07PM +0200, David DEMELIER wrote:
>> Hi freebsd-ports@,
>>
>> I would like to propose you something that I would like to be done.
>> It's a cosmetic, useless thing but I like when things are made
>> homogeneously. That is the problem : as you can see, sometimes port
>> tells a message to the user but some maintainers used delimiters to
>> begin/end the message such as a lot of "***" or "===" or blank spaces.
>>
>> If you already did use NetBSD pkgsrc, you can see that *every* MESSAGE
>> is composed like this :

>> $NetBSD: MESSAGE,v 1.1.1.1 2008/10/20 09:28:51 wiz Exp $
>>
>> Note you need audio/audacious-plugins to actually play music.
>>
>> I would do something like this to the FreeBSD ports, if you agree with
>> me I can check every messages and modify them. I can also put
>> something in the FreeBSD porter's handbook to write a "pkg-message
>> template"
>>
>> I know that there is much more important work to do, that's why I can
>> take all this work for myself.
>
> I think a better solution is to do what portmaster does and display all
> the pkg-message files as one of the last things it does. I had a patch
> to do this sitting in portmgr@ queue but it needs more work.
>
> A combination of some standardization of pkg-message files and
> displaying them all at the end of a build would be best.
>
> -- WXS

Yes, Gentoo's portage emerge does this, if I remember well it prints
the message after building the port and when every port has finished
and that is really interesting !

Because I always used mv, vim, diff to generate patches I need some
time to learn the way to do patches with cvs.

--
Demelier David