License Framework: Develop Best Practices

Wesley Shields wxs at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 15 21:22:36 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 02:46:27AM +0200, Marco Br??der wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I know the ports license framework is very new and not mature yet.
>
> But it is not very useful in its current state, because several
> popular licenses are missing and some license foo is not right /
> specific enough to be considered legally correct (for example there is
> no 'one BSD License', there are at least three of them, all legally
> different). The legal consequences of even very small differences can
> be very huge. We actually have to make this legally right or the whole
> thing is useless.
>
> Some maintainers already added some license foo to their ports. At the
> moment there is more guessing than knowing what actually should be
> done from a maintainers point of view. This is especially true for
> dual / multi / combo licensing (for example 'GPLv2 or any later
> version' is not really the same as 'GPLv2 or GPLv3' combo).
>
> Before this even grows, could we please start developing best
> practices and document them into Porters Handbook, as soon as
> possible? Thanks!

I couldn't agree more. I've been holding off until the Porter's Handbook
has clear documentation on what maintainers need to know. I've included
alepulver@ on this as he is the one that wrote the initial support for
this. I'd hate to see this grow into a mess that has to be cleaned up
later because there isn't proper documentation for maintainers.

Hopefully Alejandro has a PH update in the wings? If not then I guess
it's up to someone(TM) to do it.

-- WXS