Data files and ports

Max Brazhnikov makc at issp.ac.ru
Fri Jun 11 20:17:02 UTC 2010

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 16:29:18 -0300Fri, 11 Jun 2010 17:41:45 +0300, Jesse Smith
wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who replied. There were some good points made all
> around. Let's say that I do decide to go with the idea of making the
> Data files a separate port. How do I tell the Ports system not to try to
> build the data file and instead just install the files to a location of
> my choosing? Usually a project's Makefile decides what gets built and
> where items go, but data packages are... dumb, they're just files. My
> thought is to create a patch which adds a Makefile to the "work"
> directory after the archive is untarred, which would handle the "make"
> and "make install" commands.

from bsd.port.mk:
# NO_BUILD		- Use a dummy (do-nothing) build target.
# NO_INSTALL	- Use a dummy (do-nothing) install target.

COPYTREE_SHARE macro which copies the directory entire with its subtree and
sets correct permissions can be useful for your port as well.

Max