[new port] usage of shar command

Joe joeb_722 at comclark.com
Sun Jul 18 09:56:49 UTC 2010

3.6 Submitting the port

Now that you are happy with your port, the only thing remaining is to
put it in the main FreeBSD ports tree and make everybody else happy
about it too. We do not need your work directory or the pkgname.tgz
package, so delete them now. Next, simply include the output of shar
`find port_dir` in a bug report and send it with the send-pr(1) program
(see Bug Reports and General Commentary for more information about
send-pr(1)). Be sure to classify the bug report as category ports and
class change-request (Do not mark the report confidential!). Also add a
short description of the program you ported to the ``Description'' field
of the PR and the shar to the ``Fix'' field.

After getting my port ready for submitting to the ports system, I read
the above section from the porters handbook and come to a show stopper.

I can not figure out just what the author was trying to say with
"output of shar `find port_dir`"

Can someone explain how the shar command is intended to be used to
create the file that gets send with the [new port] pr?