How to upgrade perl 5.8 to 5.10?

Michal Varga varga.michal at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 15:29:25 UTC 2010

> # pkg_info | wc -l
>     457
> #
>
> And this machine is even my package-building station!
>
> Anyway, portupgrade -af took 45 minutes. *g*

Well, it's a dedicated blade after all :) And those 8 cores seem
pretty nasty, I'm envious.

That 800+ installed ports are for a regular desktop system,

CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) 8450 Triple-Core Processor (2109.74-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Cores per package: 3

just things like xul/firefox, or webkit alone take an hour to build.
Think of "2 to 3 days" to recompile everything from scratch. And
that's only for a Gnome desktop setup, throw in another KDE
environment to the mix and their family of applications and you can
round that to a week (maybe slightly less if you leave the machine
running completely dedicated). While your blade would cut that time
down considerably, it still wouldn't be in minutes anymore :)

m.