thunderbird3: dies with socket(): Protocol not supported Illegal instruction (core dumped)

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Jan 19 23:58:53 UTC 2010

On 01/12/10 15:31, Guido Falsi wrote:

>>> Can it be made to not require IPv6? (especially when there is no actual IPv6
>>> connectivity).
>>>

>> Seems to be hardcoded all over the place.  Looks like it would require major
>> modifications.
>
> This is strange. I'm using an 8.0-STABL:E/amd64 compiled yesterday here.
> Custom kernel without INET6 and thunderbird3 works quite fine.

Sorry for the long delay.

Well, after recompiling several ports the situation seems to get relxed,
but thunderbird3 is crashing on SMP boxes more frequent than on non-SMP
FreeBSD 8/amd64 boxes. So far.
I tried to rebuild via portmaster every thunderbird-dependencies (ports
on which tunderbird3 depends on, if my English isn't clear). No success.
I realise those crashes when I try to abort message sending, then
thunderbird crahes immediately. Sometimes it vanishes silently, leaving
a dead-mark (core dump) behind. No idea what's going wrong.

On my private slwo UP box (FBSD 8.0/amd64 STABLE) thunderbird is stable,
but really slow ...

Regards,
Oliver