Nouveau Starts Dropping Non-KMS Support

Michal Varga varga.michal at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 12:00:16 UTC 2010

Basically, this: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzg3MA

---snip---
Red Hat's Ben Skeggs though has started deleting non-KMS code that is
trimming this NVIDIA X.Org driver by thousands of lines of code. While
user-space mode-setting will no longer work, kernel mode-setting is
the superior solution and is the future. Intel had also recently
dropped support for user-space mode-setting.
---snip---

Does anyone (Robert, probably) know, how this will affect FreeBSD in
the near and well, eventually distant future?

I mean, I guess this one typical linux user's comment from Phoronix
discussion probably sums it all, but still, it's hard not to laugh
(hysterically):
"Well, If portability stands in the way of progress, I say to hell
with portability."

Well anyway, are we going to lose Nouveau yet before we even properly
got it, or are there any plans to workaround this "issue"? I mean,
last I heard KMS in FreeBSD is not going to happen for years (if
ever), so what other options are still open?

m.