The state of Ada (Re: FreeBSD unmaintained ports which are currently scheduled for deletion)

John Merryweather Cooper john_m_cooper at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 8 20:08:25 UTC 2010

----- Original Message ----

From: Daniel Eischen <deischen at freebsd.org>
To: John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper at yahoo.com>
Cc: Mikhail T. <mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com>; ports at freebsd.org; karel at lovetemple.net
Sent: Fri, January 8, 2010 11:59:05 AM
Subject: Re: The state of Ada (Re: FreeBSD unmaintained ports which are currently scheduled for deletion)

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, John Merryweather Cooper wrote:

> Well, the compiler needs to be upgraded to the latest version.  Linux gets a compiler out of the box, but we have to bend one to shape. Most things stay the same, but there are always subtle differences. I'd be happy to help do this (as I'm currently unemployed), but I'm also going through a divorce.  You can contact me more directly at j.m.cooper at borgsdemons.com.

All the ports that I saw that were broken, were broken
*because* the compiler (lang/gnat) was updated.  Those
ports seemed to be vastly out of date and didn't build
with the latest GPL gnat from ACT.

-- DE

That's largely true--I need to take a look and get things going again.  But there's still a parallel compiler path that creates problems.  Most ports (before being put into the tree) expect to be built with one of the pre-built compilers from ACT.  So name and location problems exist.  I'm sorry I've been off the wheel but I sold my soul to Microsoft (at least for awhile) . . .

jmc