Binary packages for releases and portupgrade

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 6 00:07:05 UTC 2010

Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 01:58:57PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
>> My understanding is that we've given up trying to produce packages for
>> openoffice on all branches.
>
> I have no idea who told you this, but it is completely false.

Forgetting what I've heard and who I've heard it from, let's look
simply at the practical results. There have not been openoffice
packages available on a consistent basis for years, and haven't been
any at all that I've seen for the last several months, and I've been
looking for them.

Given that the problems with building openoffice packages are all well
known, and haven't really changed in the last several years, the only
rational conclusion is to assume that we've stopped trying. Which, by
the way, is fine, I don't see openoffice packages as a rational use of
(limited, valuable) project resources, particularly when other good
alternatives exist.

My interest was in letting Martin know that if he expected to find
openoffice packages (which he mentioned specifically) that he wasn't
going to, and I felt it only fair that he know that going in.

Doug

			-- Pablo Picasso