Shoud devel port be RC or GIT based?

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Fri Feb 26 17:49:29 UTC 2010

On 15/02/2010 01:45, CeDeROM wrote:
> In a moments of hard testing just before a software release, releases
> of a RC (Release Candidate) packages are done to alow some final
> tests. I am wondering if it is convenient to create the devel port, to
> allow better testing for non-freebsd-aware users. Would that be more
> convenient to base such devel port on a RC releases, or directly the
> GIT repository?

This approach is not very popular. An RC release is fine, but if you
want to test builds right from a repository, you are well advised to
create snapshots, package them and base your ports on these.

An example for this is the games/ioquake3-devel port:
ftp://deponie.yamagi.org/freebsd/distfiles/ioquake3/

I update that whenever significant changes occur on SVN.