[HEADSUP]: ports feature freeze now in effect

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 16:37:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 3:28 AM, Jerry <gesbbb at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 23:17:14 +0100
> Olivier Smedts <olivier at gid0.org> articulated:
>
> > > I suspect this means we won't get KDE 4.4 for quite some time...
> >
> > http://miwi.bsdcrew.de/2010/02/cft-kde-sc-4-4-0-for-freebsd/
>
> <quote>
> We the FreeBSD KDE Team are happy to let you know KDE SC 4.4.0 was
> released few mins ago, and we’re ready for a public test. Before
> you ask we don’t want to put KDE 4.4.0 in the ports tree before
> FreeBSD 7.3 was released.
> </quote>
>
> It would be nice to get the new version installed prior to the release
> of FreeBSD-7.3, IMHO.  Unless I am drastically wrong, installing the
> new version will require a massive update of libraries, etc, similar to
> the recent 'jpeg' update. It would make for a much cleaner update to
> the new FreeBSD version if this procedure preceded the update rather
> than postdated it. However, with the 'freeze' now in effect, there
> obviously is not chance of that happening.
>
> Only if you install the earlier version of KDE via sysinstall.  If you know
KDE 4.4 is coming after the release of 7.3, then don't install the older
version when you install 7.3.  Or, install just the bare minimum
kdelibs/kdebase.  You have plenty of advanced warning, so it's not going to
be a surprise.  :)

Personally, I always recommend to people that they don't use sysinstall to
install anything except the base OS.  Don't bother with the ports tree
install, don't bother with installing packages off the CD.  Just install the
base OS, and boot into it.  Then use all the standard tools (portsnap,
pkg_version, pkg_add, portmaster/portupgrade, portaudit, etc) to install
what you want.  That way, you know exactly what's happening, and you get
exactly what you want, when you want it.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com