Installing a different PORTVERSION based on OSVERSION?

Darren Pilgrim freebsd at bitfreak.org
Sun Feb 14 03:46:07 UTC 2010

I'm working on a revision to a port where the current version doesn't
work on 8.0-R; however, an older version does.  Rather than roll the
entire port back to an older version, I'd like to have the newer version
available to 7.x and older and the older version available to 8.x and
newer.  Is it appropriate to install different versions of a port based
on ${OSVERSION}?  If so, do I just set the necessary variables after
including bsd.port.pre.mk?