Drowning in a KDE4 - xorg - nvidia glass of water after updating all over the weekend. w/links sorry attachments didn't get through

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Feb 9 20:28:58 UTC 2010

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010, eculp wrote:

> removing the BusID line worked and the nvidia defination is needed. Xorg now
> seems to work. I have xinitrc configured for kde and it starts fine and
> displays the nvidia screen and looks ok initially in general with the kde
> graphics but at the end it all goes to black.  Changing to twm or vtwm works
> fine but with a black background only although with twm I have term windows
> and other programs that are viewable

Don't know about KDE, but the black background is now a default for
Xorg, so also for twm.

> where in kde, nothing is visible. There must be something missing from
> my upgrading that would cause the black background but have no idea
> where to look.

Failed to switch consoles (Invalid argument)
Failed to switch consoles (Invalid argument)
Failed to switch consoles (Invalid argument)
(II) Feb 09 13:14:42 NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "nvidia-auto-select"
Failed to switch consoles (Invalid argument)

That looks to me like KDE trying to switch to a particular resolution
and failing.  Check the resolution setting in the xorg.conf Screen
section.  The easiest is just to set Virtual to the largest resolution
your monitor can handle:

Section "Screen"
         Identifier "Screen0"
         Device     "Card0"