Drowning in a KDE4 - xorg - nvidia glass of water after updating all over the weekend. w/links sorry attachments didn't get through

eculp eculp at encontacto.net
Tue Feb 9 20:00:29 UTC 2010

Quoting Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com>:

> On Mon, 8 Feb 2010, eculp wrote:
>
>> http://encontacto.net/bsd/Xorg.0.config.Warren
>
> Making progress.  Look at this:
>
> (--) PCI:*(0:0:18:0) 10de:0533:1025:0126 nVidia Corporation C67
> [GeForce 7000M / nForce 610M] ...
>
> Note how that doesn't match what you've got in the Device section.
>
> First, try just removing the BusID line.

Thanks Warren,

removing the BusID line worked and the nvidia defination is needed.
Xorg now seems to work. I have xinitrc configured for kde and it
starts fine and displays the nvidia screen and looks ok initially in
general with the kde graphics but at the end it all goes to black.
Changing to twm or vtwm works fine but with a black background only
although with twm I have term windows and other programs that are
viewable where in kde, nothing is visible.
There must be something missing from my upgrading that would cause the
black background but have no idea where to look.

The xorg.0.log file for the kde4 start is at

http://encontacto.net/bsd/Xorg.0.log.noBusID.KDE4

Thanks again, for your patience and help.

ed