CONFLICTS checks during the wrong stage

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Mon Feb 8 07:57:24 UTC 2010

Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> It appears CONFLICTS is checked before build instead of checking
> it before install. Why?
>
> # portmaster -Do lang/perl5.10 lang/perl5.8

Just a couple of minutes ago I answered a post by someone who
thought both portupgrade and portmaster are broken.

And yesterday I got the kudos for complaining here. I always
thought portmgr is pretty conservative about changes. This can
be annoying, when you try to get something reasonable committed,
but really it's protecting the infrastructure.

And now all of a sudden, with a flip of a finger compatibility
gets broken, year long practised work flows go down the drain.
I'm told there's something coming up that will satisfy all
parties, which is great.
But until then I'd prefer the old behaviour.