Recent massive port update.

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Sat Feb 6 21:36:27 UTC 2010

Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 21:05:54 +0100
> Miroslav Lachman<000.fbsd at quip.cz>  wrote:
>
>> Matthew Seaman wrote:

>>> Actually that's not necessary in this case entirely because the
>>> commit was so large.  Every port that needs to be rebuilt because
>>> it depends on libjpeg has had it's PORTREVISION bumped.  That means
>>> that if you just do a 'portupgrade -a' or 'portmaster -a' the right
>>> thing will happen automatically.
>>

>> No metter if there is revision bump or not, it should be in UPDATING
>> as it was in case of jpeg-7.
>>
>> 20090719:
>>     AFFECTS: users of graphics/jpeg
>>     AUTHOR: dinoex at FreeBSD.org
>>
>>     The IJG jpeg library has been updated to version 7.0.  Please
>> rebuild all ports that depend on it.
>
> No need, since it a port has a new version, a rebuild is expected.

Is expected, but if somebody are not using portmaster or portupgrade,
simple upgrade of jpeg will break other ports and I think that in the
case of jpeg (widely used library) there will be a lot of users asking
"why my app XYZ is not working anymore".

So what was the reason to put UPDATING entry 20090719 for jpeg 7, if it
is no longer needed for jpeg 8?

Miroslav Lachman