CONFLICTS checks during the wrong stage

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at black-earth.co.uk
Sat Feb 6 09:55:42 UTC 2010

On 06/02/2010 09:36, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> It appears CONFLICTS is checked before build instead of checking
> it before install. Why?
>
> # portmaster -Do lang/perl5.10 lang/perl5.8
>
> ===>>> Currently installed version: perl-threaded-5.8.9_3
> ===>>> Port directory: /usr/ports/lang/perl5.10
> ===>>> Launching 'make checksum' for lang/perl5.10 in background
> ===>>> Gathering dependency list for lang/perl5.10 from ports
> ===>>> No dependencies for lang/perl5.10
>
> ===>>> Starting build for lang/perl5.10 <<<===
>
> ===>>> All dependencies are up to date
>
> ===>  Cleaning for perl-threaded-5.10.1
>

> ===>  perl-threaded-5.10.1 conflicts with installed package(s):
>       perl-threaded-5.8.9_3
>
>       They install files into the same place.
>       Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/lang/perl5.10.
>
> ===>>> make failed for lang/perl5.10
> ===>>> Aborting update

There was a discussion about this over on questions recently, starting here:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2010-January/211053.html

Lots of people are less than completely satisfied with the change.  The
whole argument boils down to:

   * Having to jump through extra hoops in order to do some perfectly
     reasonable operations such as
        portupgrade -o new/port -f old/port-it-conflicts-with

versus:

   * Accidentally spending a long time compiling a port when a
     conflicting port is already installed.

Personally I feel that this change is in error -- it's ticking off the
vast majority of people that manage their ports day-to-day for the sake
of avoiding some newbie errors that you'ld only tend to make once or
twice.  Printing out great big warnings at fetch and compile time when a
conflict is detected seems a much more reasonable response.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.              7 Priory Courtyard, Flat 3
Black Earth Consulting                       Ramsgate