net/samba34 does not create all required directories

Spil Oss spil.oss at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 5 14:42:05 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Spil Oss <spil.oss at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just built net/samba34 (only ACL, AIO, FAM, SYSLOG and POPT enabled)
> and created a package samba34-3.4.5.tbz in my build jail.
>
> Installed the package in a different jail and couldn't start samba.
>
> First error was the pid-files related to /var/run/samba34 not existing
>
> Second error
> "initialise_wins: failed to open wins.tdb. Error was No such file or directory"
> Solved by tempory disabling wins support in smb.conf. After fixing
> third error I re-enabled it and it lives in /var/lib/samba as well
>
> Third error
> "write_browse_list: Can't open file /var/lib/samba/browse.dat"
>
> 1. /var/run/samba34 was not created by the package (was created in the
> build jail)
> 2. /var/lib/samba was not created
>
> smbd -b | grep DIR revealed all directories that must exist when starting samba
>
> Upgrading info is a bit meager, no UPGRADING file and the doc contains
> only a reference to the smbpasswd deprecation.
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Spil.

Checked some more, and it seems that STATEDIR and CACHEDIR are new
build variables as I haven't found these in the 3.3.9 build. These two
variables were /var/lib/samba by default causing my error.

Changelog contains the following changes
--with-statedir=DIR		Where to put persistent state files
--with-cachedir=DIR		Where to put temporary cache files

Guess these should point to /var/db/samba34 rather than /var/lib/samba

Just let me know if I need to file a PR

Kind regards,

Spil.