gcc-4.4.6.20101012 marked broken?

Gerald Pfeifer gerald at pfeifer.com
Fri Dec 31 15:50:43 UTC 2010

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010, Troy wrote:
> I was trying to upgrade the gcc port and received the following:
>
> portupgrade gcc-4.4.6.20101012
> ** Port marked as IGNORE: lang/gcc44:
>         is marked as broken: does not build
> ** Listing the failed packages (-:ignored / *:skipped / !:failed)
>         - lang/gcc44 (marked as IGNORE)
>
> Is it safe to remove this port? isn't gcc part of the core operating
> system? I'm not sure which port went to install this but I'm hesitant to
> remove it and break my ability to compile.

lang/gcc44 is not part of the core operating system, but one of the
many the programs offered via the FreeBSD Ports Collection.

If you want to use GCC on FreeBSD, I recommend to go for lang/gcc45
(short: gcc45).  I do not know what caused the installation of gcc44
on your system, but gcc45 should be strictly preferrable and not needed
by anything else.

Gerald

PS: There is a suggested fix for the issue around lang/gcc44 that I
will give another try after it originally failed for me, but that
does not change any of the above.
--
Gerald (Jerry) Pfeifer   gerald at pfeifer.com   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/