multimedia/mencoder - why do we build it without fontconfig support?

Michal Varga varga.michal at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 18:19:10 UTC 2010

Hi,
is there a reason for having "-disable-fontconfig" hardcoded in
mencoder's Makefile, without any option to turn it on, or even better,
just leaving it on default as we already do with mplayer?

I just noticed the issue while trying to render a bunch of subtitles
into a movie (which is a capital crime by itself, I know, but I just
really needed it on this specific occasion). And as mplayer displays
subtitles happily like since forever, after a while of puzzlement I've
been able to track down the offender to our mencoder's Makefile.

Also, it turns out that I'm not exactly the first one to notice:

So the question stands - is there anything to gain by having fontconfig
support forcefully disabled? After all this is mencoder we're talking
about, one dependency more or less is just a drop in the ocean. And the
current state really makes our mencoder kind of crippled...

m.

--
Michal Varga,
Stonehenge (Gmail account)