CFR: patch to cleanup usage of SRC_BASE in various ports

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at FreeBSD.org
Wed Dec 1 08:38:13 UTC 2010

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 22:16:17 +0100 (CET)
"Ganael LAPLANCHE" <ganael.laplanche at martymac.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 14:09:35 -0600, Ade Lovett wrote
>
> Hi Ade, hi Mark !
>
> > > Patch incorporating these suggestions, along with some other edge
> > > cases I found, uploaded:
> > >
> > >  http://people.freebsd.org/~linimon/patches/diff.out.srcbase
> >
> > http://people.FreeBSD.org/~ade/bpm.src_base.diff
> >
> > Trivial addition to Mk/bsd.port.mk to prevent duplication of
> > SRC_BASE?= ... in individual port Makefiles.
>
> Good patches, thanks ! But couldn't we extend this idea ?
>
> Most of the time, ${SRC_BASE} is used to check whether some file
> (mostly ${SRC_BASE}/sys/Makefile) exists or not, to return,
> most of the time, the same error :
>
> "you need to extract kernel source tree before building this package"
>
> It would be interesting to provide something like :
>
> USE_BASE= yes
> Which would do the following :
>  => defines ${SRC_BASE}
>  => checks for ${SRC_BASE}/sys/Makefile
>  => provides a standard error msg if not found
>
> or, if set to something other than yes :
>
> USE_BASE= some/file/within/src_base
>  => defines ${SRC_BASE}
>  => check for ${SRC_BASE}/some/file/within/src_base
>  => provides a standard error msg if not found
>
> Thus, we would avoid having the same tests again and again, and be
> able to provide more "standard" messages...
>
> What do you think ?

Yes. It would help tracking some errors on automated build systems.

FreeBSD committer -> itetcu at FreeBSD.org, PGP Key ID 057E9F8B493A297B