ports - dovecot

Denny Lin dennylin93 at hs.ntnu.edu.tw
Wed Aug 25 00:05:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 04:04:48PM -0400, Jerry wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 20:46:49 +0200
> DZIOBAK <dziobak84 at interia.pl> articulated:
>
> > Could you please tell me when can be released dovecot-1.2.14 and
> > dovecot-2.0.1? The versions 1.2.13 and 2.0.0 are released for couple
> > of weeks, but ports are not created.

I submitted ports/149866 a few days ago to update Dovecot to 1.2.13.
Still awaiting maintainer approval.

I'll submit another PR to update Dovecot to 1.2.14 this afternoon.

> While releasing the former into the ports system is a worthwhile goal,
> it would be a mistake IMHO to do the same for the latter. The software
> author is releasing on what appears to be an almost hourly schedule,
> patches to the base program. Until it stabilizes, I would not recommend
> releasing it into the wild. If it has as many problems as it appears to
> on the system it was written on, one can only imagine what sort of
> problems await FreeBSD users.

1.2.14 was released one month after 1.2.13, so it really isn't an hourly
schedule. Dovecot releases are also usually quite stable.

Perhaps the port maintainer will update mail/dovecot to 2.0.1 and keep
the 1.2 branch in mail/dovecot12. This way users can choose their
preferred version.

--
Denny Lin