Feedback on wanted port: obskurator

Frederic Culot frederic at culot.org
Sun Aug 15 08:36:16 UTC 2010

Hello,

Following the links on the ports tasks wiki page I found 'obskurator' to be a
wanted port (http://wiki.freebsd.org/AndrewPantyukhin/Ports) so I gave it a try
and report about it here.

obskurator is supposed to obfuscate source code by changing variable names. Home
page for the project is: http://obskurator.sourceforge.net.

The port I prepared for obskurator can be found here:
ftp://culot.org/FreeBSD/obskurator.shar

The above port installed obskurator fine for me (8.1-RELEASE on amd64), but I
believe the software itself is unusable and should not be added to the ports
tree in its current state. Indeed, I wrote a simple code to test the resulting
obfuscated program generated by obskurator and it would not compile.

Here is my test code:

-----
#include <stdio.h>

int my_int1;

int
main (void)
{
  char *my_txt1 = "Hello world";

  printf ("first var: %d\n", my_int1);
  printf ("second var: %s\n", my_txt1);

  return 0;
}
-----

and obskurator transformed it into the following:

-----
#include <stdio.h>

int my_int1;

int
main (void)
{
  char *x1 = "Hello world";

  x2 ("first var: %d\n", my_int1);
  x2 ("second var: %s\n", x1);

  return 0;
}
-----

That is obskurator believed printf(3) was a user-defined variable and replaced
it with 'x2', which makes the resulting program impossible to compile.

As a conclusion I would say that 'obskurator' should be removed from the wanted
port page at http://wiki.freebsd.org/AndrewPantyukhin/Ports as it does not
manage to generate compilable obfuscated code as it claims to do.

Hope this helps,
Frederic