Need advice from maintainers

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Wed Oct 21 15:25:59 UTC 2009

I am the maintainer for security/barnyard2.  This is an updated version of
security/barnyard, which I also maintain.  The version of my port is the
current release version, but it has a really irritating problem that is fixed
in the current beta version.

Barnyard2 is a program that parses snort logs and inserts them into a database
(mysql or postgresql).  It is supposed to create a placemarker file (called a
waldo file) that maintains a record of what logs it has already parsed.  (This
is only one way of using the program.  There are others as well.)  The problem
in the release version is that it does not read the waldo file when the program
is restarted.  So every time you restart barnyard2, it reinserts into the
database every alert you still have log files for.  The beta version fixes this
problem.

I have created a port for the beta version and am using it myself, but I know
that using beta versions of software is frowned upon.  Should I go ahead and
submit this port because it solves this problem?

If I do, my thinking is that I should adjust the pkg-message file in the
existing port to warn the user about the problem and note that the beta version
solves it so they might want to consider using that instead.

Also, if I do submit the port, should it be named barnyard2-beta?  Or
barnyard2-devel?

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst