portmaster: grep: Argument list too long

Kenyon Ralph kenyon at kenyonralph.com
Tue Oct 20 06:13:26 UTC 2009

On 2009-10-18T23:04:41-0700, Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> Kenyon Ralph wrote:
> > On 2009-10-18T21:43:24-0700, Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >> I'm also concerned that there is something wrong with your /var/db/pkg
> >> directory, since grep can handle an argument list of many thousands of
> >> items without any problems. Can you do this and let me know what it
> >> says: ls -d /var/db/pkg/* | wc -l
> >
> > After doing portmaster --check-depends which did a few +REQUIRED_BY
> > updates:
> >
> > % pkg_info | wc -l
> >      845
> >
> > % ls -d /var/db/pkg/* | wc -l
> >      846
> >
> > That is one more than portmaster -l:
> > ===>>> 845 total installed ports
>
> Ok, can you please figure out what the extra entry is?

The extra entry is just /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db, so I presume that's not a
problem.

> > I also ran portmaster --check-port-dbdir, deleted the directories that
> > did not seem to be installed, and noticed that x11/kde4 and kdeutils4
> > were not installed (even though the rest of kde4 seems to be installed).
> > So I'm doing portmaster -v -t -D -R x11/kde4 right now, which is
> > building several ports. I'll try resuming -r perl-threaded-5.10.1 after
> > this.
>
> Ok, when you get back to the perl upgrade please apply the attached
> patch first. It is going to cause a lot of console output so you're
> probably better off starting script first to capture it.

The patch had some problems with quoting and echoing from functions
where there shouldn't have been any echoes, so the debug lines were
being put into pkgdep entries and weird stuff like that.

Anyway, without the debug patch, I tried the -r perl-threaded-5.10.1
again, and everything finished cleanly this time (I think this was at
least the fifth time I started the process though). I guess it was
running --check-depends that fixed it.

Thanks,
Kenyon Ralph