TomTom GPS

Miguel Filgueiras mig at ncc.up.pt
Tue Oct 13 10:11:27 UTC 2009

Hi Julian and David,

> I could a co-operate with Miguel F on debug probes etc if he wants
> ( though I dont want to wipe & destroy my GPS, theyre too useful :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Julian

I can assure you that I don't know of any GPS destroyed by GPSMan
since its first version back in 1998!

At present GPSMan has support for Garmin, Lowrance and also Magellan
receivers. In order to add support for Tom-Toms the first thing
we need is a publicly available description of its communication
protocol. Is there one? Where? After that we must see if it is
feasible to implement support for it. By "we" I mean you and I
and any other person willing to help and having some knowledge
of Tcl or any scripting language. Feasibility here from my
point of view is less in technical terms and more in relation
to the small amount of time I can alocate to this. I am currently
working on other aspects of GPSMan that are well behind schedule
because I cannot find people to help with the implementation...

It may happen that the Tom-Tom protocol is similar to one of
those already implemented what will decrease the amount of time
needed.

In sum, I'm interested in this, I'll be very glad to
collaborate but I cannot promise much in terms of time.

Cheers,
Miguel