netbsd pkgsrc

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Tue Oct 6 08:56:42 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 12:06:08PM +0400, Alexander Bubnov wrote:
> Why FreeBSD does not use pkgsrc of NetBSD project as default ports?

You're able to do so if you like -- FreeBSD is a supported pkgsrc
platform IIUC.

OTOH, there are some things FreeBSD ports are able to do that pkgsrc
can't (e.g. follow port renames/recategorizations by MOVED during
port upgrades).  The converse is true, as well.

There are also the following data which might be of interest.  Note:
for FreeBSD and pkgsrc, I'm using the number of things that are buildable
from source; but for OpenBSD, I'm using the number of binary packages
that are available for the i386 platform (but only because I don't have
a quick way to figure out the equivalent ports count, which is higher.
Hopefully, someone will inform me.)

Therefore, this is a _slightly_ apples vs. oranges comparision, but it
still may be informative.

  FreeBSD   20730*
  pkgsrc     8458**
  OpenBSD    5379***

mcl

* per FreshPorts.org
** per pkgsrc.org
*** from an OpenBSD web page; again, this is undercounting