PackageKit Ports

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 5 16:37:53 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-05 at 18:22 +0200, Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>
> >> Hopefully this will go into PackageKit 0.4.10, for use
> >> while waiting for required PolicyKit/DeviceKit support.
> >>
> >> Besides some (unused) differences in API, the backend is
> >> identical to the one in the latest PackageKit (0.5.2).
> >>
> >> Feedback appreciated, maintainer didn't respond.
> >
> > Which maintainer?  I'm quite excited about this work.
>
> Maybe I did something wrong, I tried to contact maintainer
> of "portupgrade" since I had some port search additions...

Ah, I follow.

> Didn't post the ports earlier (before this backend backport),
> since it was kinda useless to run with the "dummy" backend. :-)

No problem.  I did notice some nits in the plist of packagekit.  You
should not include blank lines (even to logically segment sections).  If
you want true separation, use separate plists.  Once I have some time,
I'll go through them in more detail.  I'd love to get them committed.

> > We have the
> > latest PolicyKit coming with GNOME 2.28 (once 8.0 is out the door).
> > DeviceKit will probably never happen on FreeBSD.  DK-power will be
> > coming with GNOME 2.30, however.  What kind of DK support does
> > PackageKit require?
>
> Currently PackageKit requires both PolicyKitOne (0.9x) and also
> Glib 2.22+, which was why it needed to wait for GNOME 2.28 etc.

If you want to test the latest version with GNOME 2.28, see
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/develfaq.html .  We have GNOME 2.28
with polkit-0.9.4 in the tree.

> gnome-packagekit requires DeviceKit-power for "battery" support,
> but I added a disabler meanwhile (i.e. assume power is connected).

Cool.  That support will be coming.  They have finally merged a branch
of DK-power which offers modular backend support.  My project for GNOME
2.30 is DK-power.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome at FreeBSD.org