net-im/pidgin-2.6.2

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Fri Oct 2 08:07:46 UTC 2009

Hello,

The pidgin-2.6.2 sources (http://www.pidgin.im/) contain an important
fix for the problem that Yahoo! recently has changed something in the
protocol and old IM clients (like Kopete of KDE 3.5.10) can't connect
anymore to the Yahoo servers.

I've fetched the sources directly (pidgin-2.6.2.tar.bz2) and they
configure and compile fine with the following options:

$ ./configure --disable-vv --disable-nm --disable-tcl
$ gmake
# gmake install

$ pidgin -v
Pidgin 2.6.2 (libpurple 2.6.2)

The resulting IM client works fine with MSN and Yahoo.

This morning I went to the FreeBSD ports collection server:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=pidgin&stype=all
and there is a version 2.6.2 as well; I've fetched the tar ball of the
port in the hope that I will compile in my FreeBSD 8-CURRENT like the
above direct compile from source did. But the port-2.6.2 fetches older
sources (2.5.5) which does not contain the above mentioned fixes.
Why is this?

I'd like to have compiled and installed pidgin from the ports to make a
binary package of it and install this on my netbook EeePC 900 as well;

Thanks

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211