rc.d scripts and REQUIRE part

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 20 22:09:10 UTC 2009

RW wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 11:38:58 +0100
> Xavier Beaudouin <kiwi at oav.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to understand how to customize rc.d scripts to get the
>> right startup sequence for all daemons.
>>
>> Seems we have (my case havp, but it is also the same problem for
>> example monit) :
>>
>> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/havp :
>>
>> # PROVIDE: havp
>> # REQUIRE: DAEMON cleanvar
>> # BEFORE: LOGIN
>>
>> But in my configuration, I need ... clamd to be started before havp.
>>
>> I have no garantee that clamd is started before havp.
>>
>> Is there any hint (I had a look in handbook, but didn't find yet) a
>> way to add some REQUIRE stuff for a rc script inside, for
>> example /etc/rc.conf ?

To answer this question directly, no.

> I would suggest that you don't modify any scripts because you will
> have to maintain them. I'd create some dummy scripts in /usr/local/etc
> to provide the ordering e.g.
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # PROVIDE: PREHAVP
> # REQUIRE: clamd
> # BEFORE: havp

I think we're in a great stage of rc.d adoption when a user is able to
provide another user the exactly correct answer. :)  One tiny
correction, you would want to put this dummy script in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/. Also make sure that it's set executable (chmod
755). The name of the script won't matter, but it's generally a good
idea to make the name of the file match what's in the PROVIDE line to
make debugging easier.

hth,

Doug