RFC: svn for make fetch

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.ports at mailing.thruhere.net
Tue Nov 17 04:48:55 UTC 2009

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:16:22 +0300, Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru>
wrote:
> * Eitan Adler (eitanadlerlist at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> I was hoping to get a bit more of a response to a recent posting of
>> mine with regard to using svn to fetch files for ports
>> My proposal:
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-ports@freebsd.org/msg23776.html
>> A summary of what has been going on:
>> http://wiki.freebsd.org/EitanAdler/ports-svn
>
> This was discussed many times before, and this is a bad idea.
> - No checksums -> security issue
> - No distfile caching/mirroring -> excess traffic consumption and
>   horrible availability

Actually, I *had* a patch that got the source from svn, tarred it
and checksummed it, with little modification to the do-fetch target
and abusing FETCH_* variables.
The unsolvable problem I ran in to, is that svn doesn't adjust
timestamps for directories on export, so the checksum for the tar
was always different. Hacking svn export was outside my timeframe
and hacking tar to grow an option that sets all created dirs to
a fixed time stamp, seemed too hackish, so I let it go.

--
Mel