Question about creating a port for saga gis

Rainer Hurling rhurlin at gwdg.de
Sun Nov 15 15:28:22 UTC 2009

On 15.11.2009 15:26 (UTC+1), B. Estrade wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 10:10:39AM +0100, Rainer Hurling wrote:
>> On 15.11.2009 09:35 (UTC+1), Scott Bennett wrote:

>>>     Why are you putting saga into math?  It should be in databases, like
>>> grass and postgis are, or conceivably in science.  I don't see any reason
>>> for it to be in math.
>> For me SAGA is clearly a mathematical application. In the porters
>> handbook you can read at chapter 5.3.2 for 'science' category:
>>
>> "Scientific ports that do not fit into other categories such as astro,
>> biology and math."
>>
>> So I chose 'math'.
>
> If I may "bikeshed", it's probably more appropriately in 'science'
> given that there is no 'geo' category similar to 'astro' or 'biology':
>
>   http://www.saga-gis.org/saga_modules_doc/index.html
>
> It seems to be much more than a mere plotting tool, and is certainly
> not a math library or "laboratory" (e.g., Octave).

SAGA GIS is for example often used from within R (www.r-project.org) for
complex spatial analyses. Many scientists use it like other 'math tools'.

> Take a look at the types of applications in 'math' vs 'science', and it
> should be clear that it is general enough to belong in
> 'science'.

For clarification: I do not stand on the category math. It was my
personal choice from an ecological scientists point of view. If most
people like to see the port in category science, that's ok for me :-)

> Just my $0.02...
>
> Brett

Rainer