New port: sysutils/megacli waiting to commit

Doug Ambrisko ambrisko at ambrisko.com
Tue Nov 10 19:52:27 UTC 2009

Miroslav Lachman writes:
| Doug Ambrisko wrote:
| > Sean McAfee writes:

| > |
| > | Probably not. I noted this when I originally filed the PR for
| > | linux-megacli2, but the 1.x, 2.x, and 4.x versions support dramatically
| > | different hardware lines.
| > |
| > | As an example, this native version is 4.x and does not support the Dell
| > | PERC5.
| >
| > I find this hard to believe and in my experience with a fresh download
| > from LSI's web-site the FreeBSD and Linux variants work just fine
| > on my PERC5's for things like -AdpAllInfo.  There is no real firmware
| > interface difference between between the PERC5 and PERC6.  So I don't
| > know where you get this from.  Specifics in which things are broken
| > could be nice so I can look at getting them fixed.  I put in the
| > management ioctl path that they use into FreeBSD a long time ago.
| > They did find some bugs in some new management features that are
| > fixed in 7.1 and I need to merge back to 6.  Unfortunately, this work
| > happened after the last 6.X version was released :-(
| >
| > | IMO, linux-megacli, linux-megacli2, and megacli should all exist as
| > | independent ports.
| >
| > I would say not.  Let's get rid of the Linux variant and use the FreeBSD
| > native ones.  The FreeBSD should be a lot easier to run then the
| > Linux one and won't have the potential NFS hang issue that Linux does.
| >
| > It's nice to see the FreeBSD version and would be interesting to see
| > how much my hand was involved in that ...
| >
| > My employer's FreeBSD native tool works across all of the MegaRAID SAS
| > type cards and Dell servers that I've tried which pre-dates the MegaCLI
| > for FreeBSD.  Prior versions of MegaCLI also did.  I can't say I've
| > tried all options with the latest MegaCLI.
|
| Hi,
| I am little confused by all these MegaRAID utilities available in ports.
| (I am new to LSI MegaRAID).
|
| I have new Dell R610 with PERC6 identified as:
|
| mfi0: <Dell PERC 6> port 0xfc00-0xfcff mem
| 0xdf180000-0xdf1bffff,0xdf1c0000-0xdf1fffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci3
| mfi0: Megaraid SAS driver Ver 3.00
|
| What is the recommended tool to monitor (and manage) the state of the
| PERC6 array?

To monitor, I use syslog :-).  I set in loader.conf
	hw.mfi.event_class="-2"
so I see everything logged to dmesg/syslog of all events.

To manage it I use a custom tool but MegaCli should work.

There is a new tool that was added to freebsd "mfiutil" from Yahoo.

| I also found on LSI website, that newer FreeBSD MegaCli is available:
| 5.00.15
|
| But I don't know if it supports previous HW or not.

I have yet to see a MegaCli that isn't a super set of the prior.
The API to the firmware has been stable.

| 4.00.11
| Release Date: 02/19/2009
| MegaRAID SAS 8704ELP
| MegaRAID SAS 8704EM2
| MegaRAID SAS 8708ELP
| MegaRAID SAS 8708EM2
| MegaRAID SAS 8880EM2
| MegaRAID SAS 8888ELP
|
| 5.00.15
| Release Date: 10/20/2009
| MegaRAID SAS 9260-4i
| MegaRAID SAS 9260-8i
| MegaRAID SAS 9260DE-8i
| MegaRAID SAS 9280-8e
| MegaRAID SAS 9280DE-8e
|
| I don't know if later is addition to previous list or if it is exclusive
| list.
|
| Will current sysutils/megacli be updated to 5.00.15?

I don't know, since I'm not a ports committer anymore but it should
work.

Doug A.