New port: sysutils/megacli waiting to commit

Sean McAfee smcafee at collaborativefusion.com
Tue Nov 10 18:06:27 UTC 2009

Doug Ambrisko wrote:
> Sean McAfee writes:
> | Frank J. Laszlo wrote:

> | > Since the megacli application now has a native binary, should be not
> | > DEPRICATE the linux version?
> | >
> | > Regards,
> | >    Frank Laszlo
> |
> | Probably not. I noted this when I originally filed the PR for
> | linux-megacli2, but the 1.x, 2.x, and 4.x versions support dramatically
> | different hardware lines.
> |
> | As an example, this native version is 4.x and does not support the Dell
> | PERC5.
>
> I find this hard to believe and in my experience with a fresh download
> from LSI's web-site the FreeBSD and Linux variants work just fine
> on my PERC5's for things like -AdpAllInfo.  There is no real firmware
> interface difference between between the PERC5 and PERC6.  So I don't
> know where you get this from.  Specifics in which things are broken
> could be nice so I can look at getting them fixed.  I put in the
> management ioctl path that they use into FreeBSD a long time ago.
> They did find some bugs in some new management features that are
> fixed in 7.1 and I need to merge back to 6.  Unfortunately, this work
> happened after the last 6.X version was released :-(

Sorry, I missed this reply originally, but it is a 6 vs. 7 issue.  On
6.3p9 (MegaCli is native, megacli is linux-):

[smcafee at web01 ~]$ sudo MegaCli -AdpAllInfo -aALL

Exit Code: 0x00
[smcafee at web01 ~]$ sudo megacli -AdpAllInfo -aALL

Adapter #0

                     Versions
                 ================
Product Name    : PERC 5/i Integrated
Serial No       : 12345
FW Package Build: 5.2.2-0072

What's the ports@ policy for things like this?  I know I'm pretty peeved
that openntpd was pushed to 4.x, which requires >7.  Fresh installs of
6.x require me to pkg_create from a donor system or come up with a
backdated ports tree and I really don't want megacli to be in the same boat.

--
Sean McAfee
System Engineer