RFC: svn for make fetch

Jonathan jonathan at kc8onw.net
Tue Nov 10 14:05:31 UTC 2009

On 11/8/2009 10:31 AM, Eitan Adler wrote:
> I was hoping to get a bit more of a response to a recent posting of
> mine with regard to using svn to fetch files for ports
> My proposal: http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-ports@freebsd.org/msg23776.html
> A summary of what has been going on:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/EitanAdler/ports-svn
>
> This is something that more than 2 people should have an input on

I would learn toward having something available to create tarballs for
maintainers but I don't think having a port fetch directly from svn
would be such a good idea.

Also what about the load on the repository?  There is a lot of
infrastructure in place for mirroring tarballs (FreeBSD and otherwise)
but very little for svn and I doubt many projects have mirrored
repositories.  Going with the mplayer example there may not be a lot of
FreeBSD users installing mplayer at any given time but it may be enough
to be a concern as far as load on the repository.

Jonathan