MSI RAdeon R4670/512 and xf86-video-ati/xf86-video-radeonhd-devel crashes!

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon Nov 9 10:16:23 UTC 2009

Hello.

Please respond also to my eMail address, since I'm not subscriber of
these lists! Thanks.

Since I utilise a MSI Radeon R4670/512 RV730-based graphics card, I'im
incapable of using either

x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati or
x11-drivers/xf86-video-radeonhd[-devel]

The box is a ASUS P5K-Premium based system (Intel P35 chipset, CPU Intel
Q6600), running FreeBSD 8.0-RC2/amd64 successfully. The X11 subsystem
ist the most recent as one can find in the ports collection. I'll attach
the logfile of the currently running Xserver.

My box got a new 24 inch TFT display so using VESA driver or lower
resolutions than 1920x1200 isn't acceptable. The situation is as follows:

In all cases it doesn't matter wheter kernel module 'drm.ko' is loaded
or not.

Driver 'radeon' (x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati) crashes the box immediately
without any  messages. I can see the xdm-login requester, but just
before this shows up, I realise that the mousepointer sprite gets a kind
of 'distorted', it shows up some 'stripes'. They vanish. When log in and
the desktop is about to show up (using windowmaker), the screen stays
black, the box crahes and in some lucky situations, it reboots, in less
lucky situations it remains frozen.

Driver 'radeonhd' (xf86-video-radeonhd-1.2.5_2) works, but without
'options EXA' and without 'options DRI'. It is bumpy, but shows a
1920x1200 pixel screen in full colours.

Driver 'radeonhd' (xf86-video-radeonhd-1.3.0) doesn't work, it shows the
same behaviour as 'radeon' (xf86-video-ati). I can wathc the mouse
pointer sprite getting striped and a kind of distorted, then the box
crashes.

Those crashes occur mostly when switching from xdm-login requester to
desktop. In some cases I can switch to the console (pressing
ctrl-alt-[F1--F7]), but at some point, this also freezes/crashes the box.

I'm a little bit confused, since the ATi-RV730LE chipset is supposed to
be supported. I run another box, an older nVidia CK804-based Athlon3500+
box equipted with a MSI R4830/512 graphics card. The same base OS
(FreeBSD 8.0-RC2/amd64. The graphics board runs perfectly with ALL(!)
radeon-type drivers, options EXA and DRI enabled, kernel module drm.ko
loaded.

Can someone help? Since I do not have Windows XP/Vista/7 running on the
box in question, I can not update the firmware of the MSI R4760 with a
potentially existing firmware-update (since those tasks can only be
performed via a special software from MSI running on XP/Vista as far as
I know).

Thanks in advance,
Oliver