forcing ports to use Perl 5.8.8

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 5 20:00:51 UTC 2009

rihad wrote:
>> Matthew Seaman wrote:

>>> Basically, just don't upgrade perl.  The various perl modules will
>>> adapt to
>>> whatever version is installed. If you use portupgrade(1) et al, add
>>> 'perl-*' to the HOLD_PKGS array in /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf. If
>>> you use portmaster(1), create a file
>>> +IGNOREME in /var/db/pkg/perl-5.8.8/
>>
>> Yes, I'm using portmaster. Should /var/db/pkg/perl-5.8.8_1/+IGNOREME
>> be an empty file?

Sure. It doesn't matter if there is anything/nothing in the file,
portmaster just tests for its existence.

> portmaster manual says:
>      /var/db/pkg/*/+IGNOREME
>            If this file exists, several things will happen:
>
>            1. The port will be ignored for all purposes, including
>                dependency updates, if there is no directory for it in
>                /usr/ports, and there is no entry for it in
> /usr/ports/MOVED.
>
> I don't understand the if part. There _is_ a directory for lang/perl5.8
> in ports, so the port _won't_ be ignored?

Yeah, looking at that now it doesn't make a lot of sense. :)  Is this
more clear:

The port will be ignored for all purposes. This includes dependency
updates even if there is no directory for the port in /usr/ports and
there is no entry for it in /usr/ports/MOVED.

Doug