forcing ports to use Perl 5.8.8

rihad rihad at mail.ru
Thu Nov 5 08:26:02 UTC 2009

rihad wrote:
> Matthew Seaman wrote:
>> rihad wrote:
>>> Hello, I need to install security/p5-Digest-HMAC from the ports, but
>>> _only_ with the currently installed Perl 5.8.8, without it being
>>> upgraded to 5.8.9 as a dependency (because some other software dumps
>>> core with Perl 5.8.9). How can I as a user cleanly tell the system to
>>> stay with 5.8.8 and still be able to upgrade any other port, even all
>>> of them? I have in /etc/make.conf:
>>>
>>> PERL_VER=5.8.8
>>> PERL_VERSION=5.8.8
>>>
>>> but this isn't enough.
>>> /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.perl.mk has several knobs, which ones can I set in
>>> /etc/make.conf to achieve what I need (stay with perl 5.8.8)?
>>
>> Basically, just don't upgrade perl.  The various perl modules will
>> adapt to
>> whatever version is installed. If you use portupgrade(1) et al, add
>> 'perl-*' to the HOLD_PKGS array in /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf. If
>> you use portmaster(1), create a file
>> +IGNOREME in /var/db/pkg/perl-5.8.8/
>
> Yes, I'm using portmaster. Should /var/db/pkg/perl-5.8.8_1/+IGNOREME be
> an empty file?

portmaster manual says:
      /var/db/pkg/*/+IGNOREME
            If this file exists, several things will happen:

            1. The port will be ignored for all purposes, including
                dependency updates, if there is no directory for it in
                /usr/ports, and there is no entry for it in
/usr/ports/MOVED.

I don't understand the if part. There _is_ a directory for lang/perl5.8
in ports, so the port _won't_ be ignored?