Renaming port when it forks to two different branches

Eygene Ryabinkin rea-fbsd at codelabs.ru
Mon Nov 2 06:03:07 UTC 2009

Good day.

I am maintaining net-mgmt/pnp and it was recently brought to my
attention that the current port development line (0.4.x) will cease in
some time and now we have 0.6.x that is better, will be supported and
developed further.  But it requires PHP >= 5.2.  I am planning to
upgrade the net-mgmt/pnp to 0.6.x and make request to repocopy the
current (0.4.x-based) port to net-mgmt/pnp-legacy.

Here comes a question: does anyone sees any drawbacks from such
a plan and may be there are better ways to do it?

Thanks!
--
Eygene