[Patch] Proposal: USE_GNU89 switch

Ed Schouten ed at 80386.nl
Sat May 30 14:34:44 UTC 2009

* Gabor Kovesdan <gabor at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> As for LLVM, probably it won't work out for the whole ports
> tree. I don't know what's the portmgr opinion on this, if we start to
> use LLVM in Ports Collection, we should reconsider the knob, though.

LLVM/Clang support is trivial. Erwin Lansing fired up an experimental
ports build for us and the numbers are *very* promising. There are still
some issues with the compiler itself, but so far it seems the only
architectural change to the tree that needs to be made, is a hint to
fall back to C89.

This is not just about LLVM/Clang support. If the GCC folks ever decide
to switch to C99 by default, we'll have exactly the same issue.

--
 Ed Schouten <ed at 80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/