pkg_add errors

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Wed May 27 21:19:52 UTC 2009

Hello Dominic, List,

Thanks for your work, much appreciated.

Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze at bsdforen.de> writes:

> I need something similar for the incomplete package problem.
> Should pkg_upgrade create a summary of apparently broken packages
> that have been installed?

I would go with this option since one can use not only official
packages but home made ones (and without much testing).

> Should it bail out (and break with every
> package that has a broken plist)?

That imho would be a little bit draconian.

BTW, current behaviour of "pkg_upgrade -F" to stop at the first package
that can't be downloaded is the same. Can this behaviour be changed
to proceeding but printing out the list of not downloaded packages
at the end? Or at least can you create an option for such behaviour?

> Should it perform library checks

That may be done via command line option.

> and try to auto fix them?

That task seems to be very hard to achieve.

> My preference would be to rely on 'pkg_info -g', but that would
> require all committers to run extensive checks before committing
> changes to the ports tree. Miwi has always done this and more than
> once revealed PLIST problems of my ports to me. But I wonder whether
> it is really sensible to ask committers to test everything on a
> Tinderbox (preferably on several platforms) before committing
> changes to the ports tree.

Hm, ports with broken PLISTS are, well, broken. And should be fixed
or marked BROKEN. I was sure that the FreeBSD packaging cluster does
not produce packages with broken plists (i.e. the package is not
created). Is that wrong?

WBR
--
bsam