port net/openldap24-sasl-client fails to register as dependency

Panagiotis Christias p.christias at noc.ntua.gr
Wed May 20 23:11:48 UTC 2009

Hello,

(I am adding freebsd-ports@ to the thread as you suggested)

Xin LI wrote:

> Hi, Panagiotis,
>
> Panagiotis Christias wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I came across another dependency bug. It looks like packages that depend
>> on net/openldap24-client (e.g. mail/sendmail-ldap, mail/dovecot with
>> WITH_LDAP=true etc) fail to register the openldap dependency in systems
>> that have net/openldap24-sasl-client port installed.
>
> I am aware of this problem but I don't have a good solution for it (at
> hand), this is an infrastructural issue with the ports dependency
> tracking - if two ports installs exactly the same files, there is no way
> to distinguish between the two without forcing to install one even if a
> conflicting one is already installed.

Hm.. messy. How does lang/perl5.[6,8,10] handle such problems?

> Can we post this to -ports@ so we can bring more people into the
> discussion?  I think this would be an interesting topic that should have
> been addressed sooner than later.
>
> (By the way, as a workaround portupgrade(1) for instance can be
> configured to force specified dependency, just FYI;).

Are you referring to something like the following in pkgtools.conf?

   ALT_PKGDEP = {
     'net/openldap24-client' => 'net/openldap24-sasl-client',
   }

I am already using that. Without it portinstall/upgrade would try every time
to install net/openldap24-client (and fail). But it still does not register
the dependency.

Regards,
Panagiotis

--
Panagiotis J. Christias    Network Management Center
p.christias at noc.ntua.gr    National Technical Univ. of Athens, GREECE