devel/boost: what's proper shared library version?

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Sat May 16 15:50:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, 14 May 2009 13:14:26 -0500, Alexander Churanov
<alexanderchuranov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jeremy,
>
> There is no binary compatibility for boost libraries at all. To be
> precise, they say "this may work for some cases", but boost folks are
> intentionally not examining if such a compatibility exists between
> releases. Of course, they provide no warranty of any kind. I've just
> dropped a message to boost and they confirmed that there is no
> compatibility between releases.
>
> So then, my question was not about binary compatibility. I was sure it
> does not exist. And yes, we need to rebuild all ports that depend on
> boost each time the libraries are updated.
>
> The question is: "how correctly assign versions to shared libraries from
> boost?"
>
> I suggest using boost release version, because this is most clear and
> obvious way. It's supported by boost out-of-box. The only concern is
> whether library names like libboost_date_time.so.1.39.0 are acceptable
> for FreeBSD.

It's highly unlike they will break the ABI in the minor release. We
haven't bump boost when minor version was released and no issue. What
number or blah, I don't care as long as you do not bump it for no reason
when the ABI isn't broke.

Cheers,
Mezz

> Alexander Churanov,