[Call For Testing] VirtualBox for FreeBSD!

Mark Kane mark at mkproductions.org
Fri May 15 22:47:17 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009, at 11:53:39 +0200, Bernhard Fröhlich wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 11:51 pm, Artem Belevich wrote:
> > Few more notes from -CURRENT/amd64
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > * Attempt to boot new VM (64-bit FreeBSD) from -current snapshot DVD
> > ISO results in an error:
> >
> > Failed to start the virtual machine FreeBSD.
> > Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_SYMBOL_VALUE_TOO_BIG).
> > Unknown error creating VM (VERR_SYMBOL_VALUE_TOO_BIG).
> >
> > Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
> > Component: Console
> > Interface: IConsole {a7f17a42-5b64-488d-977b-4b2c639ada27}
>

> I cannot reproduce that anymore (probably hit another problem). Could
> you please provide what the vbox-dev people asked for to solve that
> problem?
>
> VBox.log from ~/.VirtualBox/Machines/<VM name>/Logs/VBox.log
>
> and start with
>
> export VBOX_LOG=+rt_ldr.e.l2.f
> VirtualBox -startvm VM_NAME
>
> the resulting .log file (created in the current directory!)
>
> http://vbox.innotek.de/pipermail/vbox-dev/2009-May/001411.html
> http://vbox.innotek.de/pipermail/vbox-dev/2009-May/001413.html
>
> Thanks!

Hi.

I just wanted to add that the kldload and "VERR_SYMBOL_VALUE_TOO_BIG"
errors that Artem posted also occur on RELENG_7/amd64. I rebuilt with
debug enabled and set the environment variable per the posts on the
VirtualBox mailing list and have included the requested logs below
(along with some additional info from /var/log/messages about the
kernel module).

One note: when running the version with debug I haven't really seen the
original error about "VERR_SYMBOL_VALUE_TOO_BIG" in any of the logs and
it doesn't pop up on screen anymore when the the VM fails to start; the
window just disappears after failing to start.

http://tntpowerhost.com/mixx941/freebsd/virtualbox_logs_20090515.txt

Thanks in advance!

-Mark

--
Internet Radio:
Party107 (Trance/Electronic) - http://www.party107.com

IRC:
MIXXnet IRC Network - irc.mixxnet.net (Nick: MarkK)