Keyboard not working in gnome?

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Fri May 15 14:21:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 13:05 +0200, Christopher Arnold wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> some more input on this.
>
> In Xorg.0.log i see:
> (II) config/hal: Adding input device USB Receiver
> (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)
> (II) config/hal: Adding input device AT Keyboard
> (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)
> (The at part makes sense, i only have USB on this machine)
>
> So i guess this is the problem and that a rebuild of gnome/X11 did not
> help. It seems fairly close to the issues with hald/xorg.conf that we saw
> the last time upgrading gnome.
>
> What is actually the right config nowdays?
>
> I have the following in xorg.conf:
> Section "ServerLayout"
>      Identifier     "Simple Layout"
>      Screen         "Screen 1" 0 0
>      InputDevice    "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
>      InputDevice    "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
>      Option         "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
>      Option         "AutoAddDevices" "off"
> EndSection

Using the above, you shouldn't need the lines below.  Your devices need
to be statically configured in xorg.conf.  If you are using hald, then
remove both the AllowEmptyInput and AutoAddDevices lines above.  I
currently use moused as well, since there still seems to be some
occasional issue with my mouse if I try and use native psm...

robert.