[Call For Testing] VirtualBox for FreeBSD!

Martin Wilke miwi at FreeBSD.org
Fri May 15 07:40:03 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 11:06:24PM +0200, Gustau Pérez wrote:

> Martin Wilke wrote:
> >
> > Howdy Guys,
> >
> > After the announcement from Alexander Eichner about Virtualbox on
> > FreeBSD, we started the work on a port for FreeBSD. Now we think
> > that we solved the most problems and are ready for the first Call
> > for Testing.
> >
> > Some notes before you can test the port: Make sure you are using
> > RELENG_7 or higher. You have to use a fresh portstree with uptodate
> > ports!! Please read carefully the pkg-messages.
> >
> > Some known issues / Troubleshooting: Sometimes the kernel on HEAD
> > coredumps when loading or unloading the kernel module. A small
> > workaround to prevent the crash is to not start X, mount proc, then
> > load the kernel module and start X from the console. That helped me
> > and some testers, maybe you too. :P AMD64 should be work in
> > general, it builds and start. But not right tested at the moment.
> > We want here also some feedback.
> >
> > Some Thanks: First of all we'd like to say many thanks to _ALL_
> > vbox developers. Next people are Bernhard Froehlich (aka decke),
> > Beat Gaetzi (beat@), Dennis Herrmann (dhn@), Pietro Cerutti
> > (gahr@), myself (*gg*), and _ALL_ who helped and provided feedback.
> >

> > Happy Testing :-)
> >
> > Download:
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~miwi/vbox/vboxport.tgz
> >
> > Wiki Page: http://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox
>

>    I'm testing with i386/HEAD. I have two issues :
>
>        1.- The first time I start a machine. The window stays gray. If
> I pause and resume the window turns to
> black. Virtualbox says it is running, but it is not.
>
>        2.- The second and subsequent times I start a virtual machine,
> virtualbox says that there isn't the kernel driver. The
> error is :
>
>     Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
>     Component: Machine
>     Interface: IMachine {4d1df26d-d9c1-4c7e-b689-15e85ecf8ffc}
>
>   And :
>
>             Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
>
>             Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.
>
>   What can be done ?
>
>    Regards,
>
>   Gustau

Unfortunately, I saw this problem today also, I'll set this to our todo.

Thanks

> > - Martin

> - --
> PGP KEY : http://www-entel.upc.edu/gus/gus.asc

- --

|  PGP    : 0xB1E6FCE9  |  Jabber : miwi(at)BSDCrew.de  |
|  ICQ    : 169139903   |  Mail   : miwi(at)FreeBSD.org |
|	Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest!		|