xcb-util 0.3.4 breaks awesome

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 7 22:32:39 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 02:07 +0400, Dmitry Marakasov wrote:
> * Josh Rickmar (joshua_rickmar at eumx.net) wrote:
>
> That's quite complicated problem actually - xcb-util update has
> broken awesome; we could update awesome to 3.3-rc1, but it requires
> startup-notification 0.10 (which likely requires new xcb-util as
> well).
>
> Thus we'll likely have to wait for s-n 0.10 and consider awesome
> broken for now. Meanwhile, awesome users are recommended to not
> upgrade from/downgrade to xcb-util 0.3.3.
>
> This is really our fault as there should've been more testing and
> coordination with this update.

Holding back X or it's sub-components is really not an option.  The
applications have to keep up.  xcb-util doesn't fall under my umbrella,
exactly, but I do update it in Xorg sweeps on occasion.  Unless the
damage is widespread progress must continue.  Awesome needs to be
patched, updated or marked BROKEN temporarily.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD