MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE+= shells/bash, textproc/ispell

David O'Brien obrien at FreeBSD.org
Wed May 6 04:11:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 08:06:45PM -0400, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> David O'Brien wrote:
>> On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 05:08:28PM -0400, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
>>> shells/bash     is only failing about 2.5/8
>>> textproc/ispell is only about 2/8
>> Hi Philip,
>> I'm sorry - I really don't know what this means.
>
> The recent parrallel make functionality pav@ added to MK/bsd.port.mk.
> shells/bash is not parallel safe as it is.

> Setting
> 	MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=yes
> notes this and allows you to set FORCE_MAKE_JOBS=yes in /etc/make.conf
> and not have shells/bash fail.

I was under the impression that MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE was the default and one
had to explicity put MAKE_JOBS_SAFE=yes in a port.

    Pav Lucistnik writes:
    As you might have noticed on the commit list, I have committed
    support for internally parallelized builds, ie. setting -jX make
    argument.  It's opt-in, so if you want your port to make use of
    this feature, you will need to put MAKE_JOBS_SAFE=yes into it's
    Makefile.

I will add MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=yes to the port.

> I was saying that it really is a RACE condition, and not just buggy make vs
> gmake code i.e. (cd x; do y) .. It only doesn't work 2.5 out of every 8
> times.

Ah!

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)