LATEST_LINK not in index

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Sat Mar 28 11:23:07 PDT 2009

I'm working on a binary package upgrade tool that gets all required
information from the INDEX file downloadable from the package
repositories. This means you do not need a local copy of the ports
tree to use it.

The only information required and missing is the LATEST_LINK.
Normally this is easily done by stripping the package name of
the version, but some ports define a proprietary LATEST_LINK
to avoid conflicts. This leads to the following problem, my
program has to do some guessing and in these cases it fails:

# pkg_upgrade firefox3
#

# pkg_upgrade firefox
www/firefox;firefox-2.0.0.20_4,1
www/firefox3;firefox-3.0.7,1
#

It either matches none or more than one port. I could build
some guessing logic, but the real solution would be to have
the LATEST_LINK name in the index file. Is there any chance
a LATEST_LINK column will be added if I file a PR?