HEADS UP multi processor compilations and packages

Brian Whalen brian at brianwhalen.net
Tue Mar 24 12:08:07 PDT 2009

Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> Two days ago, I have checked in probably most requested feature of last
> few years. Ports framework now systematically supports building ports on
> multiple processing cores. It is achieved by passing -jX flag to make(1)
> running on vendor code. Of course not all ports handle this well,
> experimental run on pointyhat with this flag globally enabled turned up
> shy of 400 failures. Because of that, the feature was designed as a
> whitelist. Individual ports need to be enabled, and indeed, fellow
> developers took on and already started adding required declarations to
> popular ports like Firefox and others.

On a related topic, I wonder what the cost would be of acquiring enough
hardware so that  the probability of actually getting a package with
portupgrade -aP would go up substantially.  I imagine the time required
for the build servers to build packages with the above mod would go down
substantially.

Brian